There is a lot of new information about the health benefits of chocolate! Yes, health BENEFITS! We’ve read multiple articles on this topic and are highlighting some of the common findings among our sources!
1. Studies have shown that dark chocolate helps lower blood pressure, control blood sugar and act as an appetite suppressant.
2. The cacoa bean is rich with flavonoids which are compounds that act like antioxidants. Flavonoids protect cells from harmful molecules knows as free radicals. Free radicals can cause cell damage that leads to heart disease, aging and cancers.
3. The cacoa bean contains another antioxidant known as polyhphenols. Polyphenols are known to help combat heart disease.
4. The darker the chocolate (60-80% cocoa) the more of the cocoa bean benefits it will contain. Dark chocolate is always best over milk chocolate or white chocolate when considering health benefits.
5. Like all good things, eating EVEN chocolate in moderation is best!